Caroles Crafts Home Page Craft Bits / Caroles Crafts
Forum for anyone interested in Crafts

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is the revision going Lulu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Craft Bits / Caroles Crafts Forum Index -> Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janet
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: 10.06.08 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lulu

My son has now finished all his exams. Very Happy He thinks his Biology and the last Maths both went fairly OK. Like you he is hoping he has done well enough in the other maths exams that the mechanics mark will not drag it down too far.

He now has 2 weeks off before going back to school to start next years work.

Janet
LuLu
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: 11.06.08 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet,

I find this the hard part... Waiting Neutral until August for the results, all the tension and anxiety of waiting.

I now have to do 600 words as the start of my coursework before september. But I do have until the 20th of September to do that so it shouldn't be too had (Hopefully!)

I suppose I am lucky seen as I dont actually have to go back until september. So I may be able to finish my BIG project YAY! Very Happy
Janet
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: 12.07.08 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lulu

Sorry I haven't been on here for ages. Too busy I'm afraid.

How did the race go? Did you get some sponsers?

My son has only 1 and a half weeks to go this term and, as I work in a school myself, I do too. Yipee!!!

Janet
LuLu
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: 17.07.08 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet,

It went very well thank you.

I completed it in 36 minutes and 19 seconds. Razz I was very pleased this was about 10 minutes faster than I did in training. I have raised about 116.

Quote:
My son has only 1 and a half weeks to go this term and, as I work in a school myself, I do too. Yipee!!!

Thats good, I bet you are looking forward to that long break.
Janet
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: 17.08.08 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lulu

How were your results?

Are you Very Happy or Sad ?

My son is Smile he got Geography B
Biology C
Art C
General Studies C
Maths D

He is a little disappointed with the Biology because one module dragged him down from a B and is really relieved that he got D for maths because he knew he had done badly and actually got U for his Mechanics module.

Janet
LuLu
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: 25.08.08 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet

I am a Neutral - a bit of Smile and Sad.

I got
ICT - D Smile (1 C and 2 D's)
Maths - D Sad (D in core 1, C in core 2 and a E in mechanics)
Psychology - C Smile (B - that one was in January, an E for stress and abnormality, and an A for research methods and social influence Shocked )
Geography - U Crying or Very sad (1 E and 2 U's)

I also got a C for my GCSE ENGLISH Very Happy which I am happy about as that means that I will be able to go into teaching.

I am the little of the same as your son as in psychology one module brought mine down I presume if I hadn't of done that module I would have gotten a Low A / High B so I am a little disappointed with that.

And my Geography as I worked hard for that although I did find the exam hard I thought that I had done good enough to pass.

LuLu
Janet
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: 19.09.08 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lulu

Sorry to have not replied for so long.

Been on holiday and then back to school in a new role so very busy.

Your results are a bit mixed as you say. Sorry about the Geography. Are you going to continue to A2?

My son has decided to drop Maths but is carrying on with Geography, Biology and Art to A2. He is going to sit another module of maths in Jan though to try and replace the Mechanics that he failed and so push up his AS grade. He has also been advised to resit one of his Biology modules to improve his grade.

Are you hoping to go to University for Teacher training?

Janet
LuLu
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: 21.09.08 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet,

Hope you had a good holiday?

I am carrying on onto A2, I had to drop Geography as my grade wasn't high enough, and the college decided that they weren't going to run Applied ICT this year.

I will hopefully be retaking my Pschology module that I got an E in and my mechanics module in maths.

So this year I am taking A2 maths and Psychology and am taking up AS Science.

Not only did I need to do another subject as I wern't doing enough but the science will help me into doing teaching.

I am still deciding whether to go to University or not as there is another option to do the teaching degree whilst being a teacher assistant in a school, this does take longer but it will give me experience and hopefully I wont get into as much debt. Smile

LuLu
Janet
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: 09.10.08 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lulu

Shame about the applied ICT. I think it is a bit rough of the college to drop it when they have students who have got as far as AS.

I have heard of people getting into teaching by the route you mention. It seems a good idea to me as there is nothing like actual school experience to help you in teaching. The more tips you can pick up along the way the better.

My son is off on his Biology field trip at the moment. I hope he has been lucky with the weather!

Janet
LuLu
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: 31.10.08 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet,

I thought the same about the ICT, but they said they only had about 15 students who wanted to continue with it and that wasn't enough so they said that it wasn't worth running. But in other subjects I know for a fact that they have a class of just two pupils, so how come that one can run and the ICT cant?! Confused

I still javen't decided what route to take for my teaching, but there is a course in some universities that actually have teacher training actually in the course and straight away I can go into teaching without doing a PGCE. I am volunteering at my old primary school once a week so I can still get experience and see if that is what I actually want to do, although I think its a bit late now to change my mind. Wink

I hope your sons Biology trip went OK and he had good weather.

Lulu
Janet
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: 05.11.08 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound a bit fishy about the ICT but these things usually come down to money. Not that I am defending the college but some courses probably cost more to run than others.

What is important is that you can get onto the teaching course you want when the time comes.

My son really enjoyed his Biology field trip. He had not been looking forward to it. Things go like that sometimes. He is quite stressed out with course work for Geography and Biology now.

Janet
LuLu
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: 26.11.08 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... decisions made finally!! Very Happy

I've finally decided that I do want to be a teacher, I am thoroughly enjoying helping out in my old Primary School. Very Happy
I feel sad that I am going to be leaving at the end of this term. Crying or Very sad But it was gret to see some of my old teachers again. Especially the one that me LOVE maths. !! Laughing Who said that it was down to them that I got a good GCSE grade for maths, and they are probably right !

I decided that I would get more experience going to different schools for one term each.

I am not going to university in September as I dont feel that I am ready yet, I dont think that I am mature enough and I dont want all the debt

But thats OK as I am going to see if I can get a job as a Teacher's Assistant somewhere in a school, Hopefully they will take me with only A-Levels but my experience should counteract them so fingers crossed. Smile

LuLu
Janet
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: 28.11.08 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lulu

That sounds a good plan. It depends on the school a bit what qualifications they expect a teaching assistant to have. Some will want an NVQ and some will just want good basic education and experience if possible.
You might want to look at Learning Support Assistant posts if you can't get a Teaching assistant post. An LSA is usually not expected to have any particular qualifications but works particularly with special needs children. They are usually assigned to 1 child with a statement of special needs but again that varies form school to school. It is a bit different to teaching assistant but could get you more experience if you have problems getting a TA post.

My son has just sent off his university application form yesterday. Like you he spent ages thinking about it but has finally taken the plunge. Now he has to wait to see if he gets any offers and if he has a chance of getting the grades they ask for.

Good luck Janet
LuLu
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: 04.12.08 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet

Quote:
You might want to look at Learning Support Assistant posts if you can't get a Teaching assistant post. An LSA is usually not expected to have any particular qualifications but works particularly with special needs children

I think that sounds like an excellent idea, as that is what I eventually want to do is work with children with special needs.

I have started to look for jobs being advertised in the local paper etc. so hopefully something will come up.

I hope your son gets some offers for the universities, and he gets the right grades and UCAS points. I suppose the waiting is the hardest bit. Smile

LuLu
Janet
Sergeant First Class

PostPosted: 06.09.09 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lulu
Long time no post!

My son is off to uni (East Anglia) in 2 weeks time. He didn't get the BBB that they had asked for but in the end they took him with BCCD anyway. We are all so pleased and not sure whether to be excited or worried.

How are things going for you?

Janet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Craft Bits / Caroles Crafts Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: